Saucy sisters Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat, authors of the bestselling cookbooks Bite Me and Bite Me Too, are big on dishing up easy recipes and forkin’ fun. From “What’s for dinner?” to “How do I host a brunch?” Bite Me More serves up over 600 original recipes and fun party ideas guaranteed to make you a success in the kitchen and bring laughs to the table.
This Grilled Chicken Club Sandwich is one very mouthwatering reason to get fired up about BBQ season. A soaring, sky-high sandwich, toasted rye bread is slathered in homemade Russian dressing and layered with juicy, lime-marinated grilled chicken, creamy avocado, ripe tomatoes and crispy bacon.
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lime zest
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Creamy Russian Dressing
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sweet green relish
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
18 slices rye bread
12 romaine lettuce leaves
12 avocado slices
12 crispy cooked bacon slices
12 vine-ripened tomato slices
Salt and pepper, to taste
1) For the marinade, in a large bowl, whisk lime juice, parsley, Dijon, olive oil, lime zest, salt and pepper. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of wax paper and pound to even thickness, about ½-inch thick. Add to marinade, cover and refrigerate 2-6 hours.
2) Preheat grill to medium-high heat and oil the grill grate. Discard marinade and grill chicken 5-6 minutes per side or until cooked through. Set aside until ready to assemble sandwiches.
3) For the dressing, whisk mayonnaise, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, relish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Toast the rye bread slices on both sides. For all the toasted slices, spread dressing over one side of each. Place a lettuce leaf on top of the first bread slice, top with 2 avocado slices. Place grilled chicken breast over avocado and season with salt and pepper. Place a second bread slice on top of the chicken and place another lettuce leaf on top, followed by 2 slices bacon. Top with 2 tomato slices and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the third bread slice, dressing side facing down. Using 2 long toothpicks, place one on either side of the sandwich to hold it together. Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the sandwich in half. Repeat with remaining 5 sandwiches.
Yield: 6 triple-decker sandwiches