Yeehaw! Chef Lisa has taken the traditional Cowboy Cookie (usually a dry and boring desperado-of-a-cookie) and turned it on its saddlebag with her easy and original Cowboy Blondie Recipe. One bite of these moist and delectable Cowboy Blondies, loaded with chocolate chunks, oatmeal and coconut, and drizzled with a candied pecan topping, will leave you thanking Lisa, the old galoot.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups chopped white chocolate
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup icing sugar
1) Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 13x9-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line the bottom and sides with parchment paper.
2) In an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, adding eggs one at a time until combined. Add flour, baking soda, salt, oatmeal, coconut, semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate, mixing on low speed just until the flour disappears. Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 25-26 minutes, until golden brown on the top. Remove from oven and let cool completely before topping goes on.
3) For the pecan topping, sprinkle toasted pecans over cooled cowboy blondies. In a medium saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter and milk to a boil over medium heat. Whisk constantly and let boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Gradually whisk in icing sugar and stir for a few minutes until slightly thickened. Pour over pecan pieces and let set completely before slicing.Yield: 24 squares If you wonder why it’s the blond(ies) having all the fun, check out these Gooey Brownies with Fudge Frosting. BRIKA picks for this recipe: