The contents of bookshelves are a reflection of you and your family - your interests, hobbies, inspirations and memories. They are also the perfect opportunity to add an intensely personal touch to your home in a beautiful way. It is our dream at BRIKA to have a full library one day - complete with a crackling fireplace and a ladder on castors!
Here are 7 easy, creative tips for decorating and organizing bookshelves. We'd love to hear your ideas!
1. Make it Personal: Break up a line of books with framed photographs and objects that mean something to you. On my shelf I have a framed photo of my Dad when he first got off the plane from India in California, a mini brass fan I picked up on my last trip to India and a shell I found on the beach during my honeymoon.
2. Stack them Up: Use horizontally stacked books as a bookend to a line of vertically stacked books. Mix it up to create interest.
3. Color Combo: Choose a colour or two to pop from your bookcase, whether they come from the books themselves, or from personal momentos.
4. Balancing Game: Create balance, but don't worry about symmetry. A bookshelf should be unpredictable and fun to explore, so don't worry about lining everything up perfectly on each shelf.
5. Organize in groups: Organize books from tallest to shortest, hardcovers, softcovers, paperbacks grouped together to create a cleaner look.
7. Remove the book jackets. We love the look of hardcover books without the fancy, glossy jackets. When you hold a naked book in your hands it reminds you that people have been holding and reading books in this format for centuries!
- Kena Paranjape, Co-Founder & Crafter of Brand, BRIKA