For me, Valentine's Day is a nice little reminder to show your love, not just to your significant other but to friends, family and yourself, too! My favorite memories of Valentine's Day involve dropping handmade cards into my friends decorated brown lunch bags at school. Now, that's a sweet, genuine way to show friendship. Here are seven other ways to say "I Love You!" this Valentine's Day that don't involve a dozen anything or an over-priced dinner reservation.
1. Write a heartfelt note or letter. Sometimes what we write down has more impact than what we say because it requires a little more thought. Tell the important people in your life how you feel about them. No need to be overly poetic, just keep it simple. Skip the email and choose a lovely card instead.
2. Do something for them with no benefit to yourself. Go to a basketball game even if you could care less, or make your vegan friend a meal even if normally wouldn't touch tempeh with a ten-foot pole. The point is, do something for the other person just because you know it is something they will love.
3. Give a good hug. I'm talking a serious squeeze, not one of those lame limp-armed excuses for a hug. I recently learned that to really get a hug right, you should hold it for six seconds, as that is the amount of time necessary to promote the flow of mood boosting chemicals. Count with me: one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three...
4. Make something they love to eat. The way to anyone's heart is through their belly! Cook and bake your way into their heart(s).
5. Tell them how much you appreciate them. We often take for granted the people who are there for us the most. Tell them thank you and tell them why. (And then hug them for six seconds, remember?)
6. Surprise! Who doesn't love surprises big or small? It doesn't have to be anything too complicated or expensive. Plan a day together, bring home their favorite chocolate croissant and latte, or buy them something small, sparkly and special (some ideas here!).
- Kena Paranjape, Co-Founder & Crafter of Brand, BRIKADid you like this story? You’ll probably like these as well!