- Choose light colors Color can be used to transform the feeling of a space. Psychologically, darker colors evoke compression while lighter colors make a room feel open and airy. I often opt for light neutrals when picking a color scheme for a smaller space, like in this powder room I designed for a client.
- Consider scale Choosing an appropriate scale for furniture, lighting, artwork and accessories is extremely important. I prefer table lamps, which are not overbearing. If a table lamp is too big for the space, it makes everything else in the room feel smaller in comparison. I suggest keeping table lamps under 30” high, unless you are decorating a great room big enough to handle a larger scale! I love the scale of the table lamp in the room I designed below.
- Utilize mirrors Another really good trick to making a space feel more expansive is to use mirrors to trick the eye. Incorporate mirrors in unexpected ways in your design, like in this family room I designed for a client. I used antiqued mirror inlays instead of a traditional backsplash for the bar.
- Maximize storage What is one way to make a space feel instantly smaller? Clutter. Eliminate clutter and you make a room feel more spacious and organized. I love these white and blue Scandanavian Barent Boxes available through BRIKA. They’re perfect for storing miscellaneous items and are cute enough to be displayed, but small enough that they could fit underneath a bed if need be.
- Utilize multi-use objects Get creative with the functionality of your furniture. I designed this couch/murphy bed hybrid for a client that wanted to get the most out of their family room. Custom furniture can helps you utilize every square inch of space.
When it comes to enlisting the help of a professional, an expert eye for anything interior design related is more often than not a good idea. With that in mind, we once again enlisted to help of Laura Casey of Laura Casey Interiors to give her two cents on mastering the art of maximizing a small space. Based in Charlotte, North Carolina, Laura Casey Interiors is a full-service residential and commercial interior design firm that creates beautiful, balanced and comfortable spaces.